Gov. Susana Martinez restores cut in child care reimbursement | News
SANTA ANA PUEBLO, N.M. (AP) - Gov. Susana Martinez Friday announced plans to restore cuts to the state's child care subsidy program for low income families.
Martinez says the state will increase by 4 percent the rate it pays day care centers for taking eligible children.
The program also expects to make room for about 1,300 of the 6,000 kids currently on the program's waiting list. Martinez said excessive spending and misplaced priorities caused the rate cut last year under former Gov. Bill Richardson.
Through responsible budgeting, she says her administration was able to restore the rate and cut the waiting list without increasing the program's $82 million budget.
Martinez joined Children, Youth and Families Department Secretary Yolanda Deines to make the announcement at an early childhood education conference at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya.